WBCC Newsmail 229, Volume 5, December 30, 2000
Composed with help from members of the
Worldwide Bi-metallic Collectors Club (WBCC)
and weekly published by Martin Peeters, Netherlands,
Focal Point of the WBCC, email@example.com
Dear WBCC members and non WBCC members,
Let me start with: A Happy (Bi-metallic) New Year (US, UK, Australia,
Een Gelukkig Nieuwjaar (Netherlands), Kodt nytt år (Norway), Head Uut Aastat
(Estland), Onnellista Uuta Vuottai (Finland), Shana Tova (Israel), Ein gutes
Neues Jahr (Germany), Felice anno nuovo (Italy), Feliz Año Nuevo (Spain),
Saehae Bok Mani Baduseyo (Korea), Boldog Uj Evet (Hungary), chastlivogo
Novogo Goda (Russia), Bonne et heureuse nouvelle année (France), Godt nytår
(Danmark), Statstny Novy rok (Slovakia), Szczesliwego Nowego Roku (Poland),
Um próspero Ano novo (Portugugal), Sretna Nova Godina (Croatia), Stastny ovy
Rok (Czech Republic), Lyckligt Nytt År (Sweden), Laimingu Naujuju Metu
(Lithuania), Laimingu jauno gadu (Latvia), Xing nian kuai le (China),
SinNiKuaiLo (Taiwan), Manigong Bagong Taon (Philippines) to ALL and from ALL
Further I hope you enjoy reading this weeks edition!!
1. A new WBCC members......by Martin Peeters, WBCC Focal Point
We a have new WBCC member. Let me introduce him to you:
Name: Dario Ferro (WBCC member #192), Italy
Hobby: I search all varieties and types of Bi-metallic italian issues
Goal: to know new varieties, errors, etc. I study also the coins and the
history of Savona (italian medieval mint)
Against: Non-italian modern coins
2. My new E-mail address (1)...by Luis Wulschner, Mexico
Please read my new E-mail address: Luis Wulschner (WBCC member #28),
3. My new E-mail address (2) ...by Jose Luis Ramirez, Spain
Please read my new E-mail address and Homepage (in spanish): Jose Luis
Ramirez (WBCC member #118), mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org and
4. Bi- (and or Tri-)metallic contest...by José Ramírez, Spain
I print now result of the contest:
* John Beckman: My favorite Bi-metallic is the Israel 1995 New Sheqlalim
piece!! It is KM# 270 (JE5755) with the obv. showing a large Date palm tree
with two large baskets on either side filled to the top!! Also, the mintage
is quite nice, too!! Only 18,000!
* Ray Lockwood: My favourite Bi-metallic coin is the 1991 20,000 zloty from
Poland. Its majestic crowned eagle and intertwined script combine to make a
majestic coin !
* Mario Baptista: The best coin of the year and century was the Poland
Poland 10 Zlotych 2000 - The 1000th anniversary of the convention in
Gniezno. The coin has a beautiful design en both sides and the black silver
make more beautiful the coin.
* Jack Hepler: Like the front design (with the date) of Bahrain 500 Fils.
And I like the reverse design of Korea 2000 Won (well half point for each
coin). For the century, he likes the Czech Republic 50 Korun. "Still today,
its design and use of color is unique".
* Martin Peeters: He likes the 50 Korun of the Czech Republic, because of
its unique colors. Red copper with Yellow copper.
* Frans Dubois: My choice for the Bi-metallic of the year is the $10
Australia "The Present" I think the most beautiful Bi-metallic of this
century is the 40 Euro Liechtenstein 1996 "Der Goldene Wagen" This coin has
the most beautiful design that I have seen in Bi-metallic versions of coins,
a real jewel to look at!
* José Ramírez, Best Bi-metallic of 2000. Gibraltar 1/2 Crown named "Tupenny
Blue". He thinks that this coin is the most beautiful coin of the year
beacause it has the blue color, the first time that one Bi-metallic has the
Best Bi-metallic of the 20th century. Portugal 200 Escudos 1995 KM 679.
50th anniversary of the UN. I choose this coin as the most beautiful coin of
the century because the design of the obverse with the puzzle pieces is the
best that I know in Bi-metallic coins, tokens or medals.
The best coin for the century is the 50 Korun of the Czech Republic with two
points, the others coins have one point each.
Only 6 (3 %) members sent to me his favourite coin.
--Remark WBCC Focal Point: A little disapointed how many WBCC members did
join the contest this year.
5. Bi-metallic 500 Lire page..by Dario Ferro, Italy
I write from Italy; My name is Dario Ferro and I'm the webmaster of the site
"Adamaney" (http://digilander.iol.it/adamaney). In my site I created a
section dedicated to the evolution of the Bi-metallic 500 Lire coins:
It's a big work, started 4-5 years ago (published on web in september 2000),
and there is the evolution and all (I hope) types and varieties of italian
500 lire. There are some pictures about the particulars, etc. I done english
and italian version of my site. The italian version is better than english,
because my english is not very good! If you are interesting about my work,
send me an e-mail at: email@example.com
6. Bi-metallic Inlay from Malta....by Manuel Gonzalez, Spain
Today I saw in Internet next silver inlay gold from Malta. These are
Alloy 0.925 Silver, cameos coated in 22 carat gold
Dimensions 40 mm x 20 mm
Weight 15.00 gms
Edition Limit 32,000
Price USD 65.00 or DM 130.00
Prices are inclusive of Registered Post.
You can see image about bimetallic inlay of 5Lm Millennium.
Section of Currency and Showcase (Millennium Coin).
7. The WBCC Bi-metallic Quiz Game #229...by Jack Hepler, USA
One of the most widely recognized Bi-metallic coins currently in circulation
is the Canadian Two Dollars. The featured design is an animal well known in
the Canadian environment. The issue of the year 2000 included both an adult
and a juvenile of the animal species. What is the animal featured on the
Canadian Two Dollar Bi-metallic coin?
c. Sea Otter
d. Polar Bear
Please send your answer to me: firstname.lastname@example.org. Next week you can read
the correct answer.
Answer to Bi-metallic Quiz Game question #228.
Thailand is a country of gentle people and beautiful sights. The land is
laced with canals and dotted with temples and monuments. From the ancient
capitol of Chiang Mai to Bangkok, there is much to see and admire about this
country. One of the favorite tourist sights is pictured on the standard
issue 10 Baht bi-metallic coin of Thailand. What is the title of this sight?
a. The Temple of the Dawn
b. The Chinese Temple
c. The Grand Palace
d. The Temple of the Emerald Buddha
Answer to Question #228 is "a"; The Temple of the Dawn or Wat Arun
Summary of answers to Quiz Game Question #227 ; 75% Correct
8. WBCC Auction Page (WAP).........by Rod Sell, WAP Provider
WBCC Auction 7 has closed. Look for the result at:
WBCC Auction 8 is open now and closes 10 PM Sydney Time January 5, 2001.
Sydney is 11 Hrs ahead of Greenwich Time.
Please read the WBCC Auction Rules.
* Syria 25 Pound 1996, Reserve $5
* Canada, Edmonton Numismatic Society, Reserve $2
* Chile 500 Pesos 2000, Reserve $3
* Switzerland 2 coins 5 Fr.1999 Fete des Vigneron and 5 Fr. 2000 Carnival of
Basler, Reserve $12
* San Marino 2 coins 500 Lire 1995 FAO and 500 Lire 1996 Hegel, Reserve $6
* Macau 10 Patacas 1997, Reserve $6
* Portugal 100 Escudos 1995 FAO, Reserve $3
* Portugal 200 Escudos 1995 50th Anniv.United Nations, Reserve $4
* Zodiac tokens (12 pieces), Reserve $13
* Token, ring gold plated, Reserve $2
* Token with hole, Reserve $2
* Gaming tokens (15 diverse pieces), Reserve $15
* Portugal 100 Escudo 1997 Seal, EXPO98, Reserve $2
* Portugal 200 Escudo 1997 Dolphins, EXPO98, Reserve $4
* Czech Republic 50 Korun 1993 UNC, Reserve $7
* Croatia 25 Kunas 2000 UNC, Reserve $8
* Portugal 200 Escudos 2000 Olympic Games, Sidney UNC, Reserve $3
* Vatican 1990 500 Lire, Reserve $3
* Vatican 1992 500 Lire, Reserve $4
* Vatican 1993 500 Lire, Reserve $4
* Vatican 1994 500 Lire, Reserve $4
* Vatican 1997 1000 Lire, Reserve $6
WBCC Auction 9 details can now send to Rod Sell at Rod.Sell@elderwyn.com If
possible send a scan of the coin.
9. New Bi- or Tri-metallic images....by Rod Sell, WBCC Homepage Provider
This weeks new pictures in the WBCC Homepage:
* Italy 1000 Lire showing the mapping error in detail
* Information and images of varieties of the Italian 500 Lire
* Austria Gaming Token
* Italy 2000 Euros from Fidas & R. Cottini
10. Bi-metallic from Croatia available.. by Stanislav Stiblar, Slovenia
Croatia issue new Bi-metallic coin for 25 Kuna 2000. Millennium. Design is
Av. like before, but obverse is a human fetus. Is a symbol of new start of
life, new birth, new millennium. Coin cost 8,00 USD. You can order at
Or you can writte E-mail: email@example.com
"See" you next weeks,
Martin Peeters, Focal Point of the
Worldwide Bi-metallic Collectors Club
The Worldwide Bi-metallic Collectors Club
was established September 14, 1996 and is the very first Worldwide
Collectors Club using the Internet. Goal of the WBCC is exchange
Bi-metallics and exchange knowledge about Bi-metallics
WBCC Homepage Provider: Rod Sell, Australia, Rod.Sell@elderwyn.com
WBCC DoCu-Centre: Frans Dubois, Netherlands, firstname.lastname@example.org
WBCC Public Relations: Cliff Anderson, USA, email@example.com
WBCC Research Centre: Paul Baker, UK, firstname.lastname@example.org
WBCC Developement Centre, Jack Hepler, USA, email@example.com
WBCC Focal Point ANA 2001 Convention, Ray Lockwood, USA, firstname.lastname@example.org
WBCC Focal Point: Martin Peeters, Netherlands, email@example.com